Reading and Writing Goals:
- Your child should read at the same speed as they speak.
- Use context clues to help understand the meaning of a word.
- Recognize high frequency words.
- What was the author's reason for writing this book?
- Recall the important events/facts in the book.
- Write a summary of what was read. What happened in the beginning, middle, and end of the story? Use the Story Map worksheet to help you.
- For fiction texts, describe the character. Use the Character Web worksheet to help you.
- For nonfiction texts, what were some of the facts about the topic?
- Connect the book to events or people in the reader's life.